"One Art, Please."


Today, I went to Stevenage Arts Society’s latest exhibition at Springfield House, which is showing three paintings by my dad.

I timed my visit wisely, as he was invigilating, which meant a bonus cup of coffee from his flask and a Kit Kat Chunky from his packed lunch. These are the perks you get when you’re the son of a featured artist. I didn’t go just for the feed though; I went to see the artwork, and wasn’t disappointed, as there was plenty to enjoy (my dad’s paintings included).

It’s a shame more people don’t know about the show, or the art club in general. I asked my dad whether there’d been a piece in the local paper, and offered to email the editor and a handful of other press contacts I have if not, to see if they could squeeze something in; I’m provincially connected. The exhibition only has a week left (it finishes on 12th December), and it would be a pity to be missed out. It’s a small show but the standard is high (says the non-artist), and the paintings are modestly priced; I’m sure a few of them would make good Christmas presents.

 (I’m not on commission.)

The society doesn’t have many younger members, from what I gather; perhaps more new blood in the group would make for better social media promotion. I hear Myspace is big with the kids.

I’m glad my dad has got back into painting. He did a fair amount when I was growing up, but has shown renewed passion for it since retiring. His work's very good. I have one of his watercolours up in my bedroom. It shares wall-space with a print of a Van Gogh; I have high standards. 

Stevenage Arts Society’s Winter Exhibition is at Springfield House in Stevenage until Saturday 12th December 2015. Go see.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.