Skip to main content

Portakabin.


In 2007, Doggett & Ephgrave briefly reinvented ourselves as the fictional experimental pop duo, Troy Matthews & Portakabin:




Portakabin were destined to only appear in two sketches; one featuring the Tory MP Peter Lilley, and another, better one, above. There was little to it, save us miming / dancing to an amusing piece of music whilst wearing a pair of uncomfortably tight roll-necks that belonged to Glyn’s mum, but it made for a popular diversion, when slipped into the midst of a mixed-bill line-up.

We rolled the second sketch out countless times between 2007-2009, mostly to success. It was the glue between the two sitcom pilots we stitched together to make our 2007 Etcetera Theatre show ‘Two’s Company…', as well as featuring in our sketch show ‘Comedy Job Lot’, performed at both the Etcetera and Soho Theatre in 2009. We’d also did it at the odd London sketch night and local music gig – and most memorably of all, at Edinburgh’s infamous late-night compilation show 'Spank!', where we provoked more confusion than amusement. The techie managed to mess up the audio cues that were vital to make the sketch work, leaving us both standing on stage in silence with metaphorical egg on our faces. Thankfully nobody knew who we were, as our pseudonym maintained our anonymity – and even if they did, they were probably too pissed to remember the mistake. 

I’ve still got the jumper. Perhaps I’ll squeeze into it one day and pop over to Glyn’s house, in the hope of staging a Portakabin reunion - but would he remember the dance?

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...