Mostly Songs.


Another thing I found whilst flicking through my old photographs, was the proposed cover of my aborted 2004 / 05ish solo album, Mostly David Ephgrave.



You may recognise the title (see the top of the webpage). The phrase started life as an ad-lib I said at the end of a solo acoustic gig. I wouldn’t have remembered it, if the show hadn't been recorded. When I listened back to it, those three words stuck out. It was the perfect name for a demo recorded ‘mostly’ by myself.  

The other half of the recording venture was my friend, the then-sometime promoter / producer Ashley Mann. We started out as guitar teacher (me) and student (Ash). Ash was aware of my work with Big Day Out, and was a firm supporter of my songwriting ability; something I lost faith in after my band split up. He encouraged me to keep going. He also had the recording set-up to document it. Having Ash produce me was a luxury, after being at the helm of most of my past demos myself.

The only thing that stood in our way was availability. Sessions had to be fitted around my constant touring. Just as we were starting to get into the swing of things, Ash moved to Leeds to go to Uni. We often talked about me visiting to finish things off, but we never got around to it. It was a shame as we made the perfect team, and the results of those first few sessions sounded promising.

Ten years later, my emphasis has shifted from music to comedy. All those actor / muso tours stunted my inspiration. I seldom pick my guitar these days, which would have been unthinkable back then. One day, I’ll return to it. At least the title of my demo lives on, in this blog and in the name of mine & Glyn’s comedy club. I only wish my hair was as thick and luxuriant as it was in 2005. Damn the passage of time. Damn it to buggery.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.