My Aladdin.


Around six or seven years ago, when I was still teaching drama, I wrote a pantomime for one of the schools I worked at.

I’d often write scenes or songs for this particular school. The great thing about the students was they were all very talented. A lot of the older kids had a firm grasp of comedy, which helped me tremendously when it came to writing the script. I knew I could drag the dialogue toward my own style for the most part and they would understand what I meant.

That said, I had to bear in mind that I was writing for an age range that spanned from six to sixteen, which was quite a width. I also wanted to keep to most of the panto traditions, to give the kids an understanding of the idiom. Yes…”idiom”.

The story I based my script on was Aladdin. You’ll find the prologue below. It was performed by the entire school, with different students taking different lines. There’s nothing funny in it, save the appalling 'station / washer-woman’s relation' rhyme, but it isn’t awful. If you’re an out-of-work actor teaching for a little extra money and you’re stuck for something to do with your class, then feel free to rip me off. Be sure to make their performance as hammy as you like:

 
CHORUS:        Come one, come all – and listen well
                        To this small tale that we do tell.
                        A story that, though centuries old
                        Before your eyes, now will unfold.

                        This tale of ours, it doth concern
                        A boy they said would never learn.
                        A lowly washer-woman's relation
                        With ideas far above his station.

                        Aladdin was this young man's name
                        Who quickly leapt from rags to fame
                        Though the road he took risked ever after
                        Living in fear of the evil Abanazar.

                        Some called him foolish, others brave
                        To step inside that haunted cave.
                        Yet never once did our hero flinch
                        'til the magic lamp was in his clinch.

                        And all these actions I speak of
                        Were solely in the name of love.
                        And love, they say, must conquer all
                        The good will win – the evil, fall.
                       
                        So settle back and hear our story
                        And revel in Aladdin's glory.
                        Though afore we move things on apace
                        We must stop by an evil place...

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.