Keep on Running.


I did a gentle run-through of my solo show this afternoon.

It was interesting seeing how the material felt, having not touched if for a few weeks. Intriguingly, I found myself enjoying the stuff that doesn’t involve projection the most. This may be because the non-technically assisted bits are more story-led than the slide stuff, or because I know them better. Either way, it gave me a small confidence boost about the show.

There shouldn’t be too much to do before my Camden run, in theory. As I haven’t had many gigs in the last month, I don’t intend on making any big changes from what I did in Brighton in May. There’s lots I want to do to my solo stand-up in general over the next year, but there isn’t an immediate time-frame for that now. I want to allow what I’ve put together to settle, before I mess with it too much. It may not be as cohesive as I’d like it to be ultimately, but it’s early days. I only started performing solo towards the end of last year - and I don’t want to run before I can walk. It’s still an experiment as to whether I can hold a space on my own, and I’m still learning the best way to approach it.

I had intended on using Camden as a chance to invite industry people to see me. I’m not sure whether I’ll still do this. Being seen too soon can be detrimental (something that happened to Doggett & Ephgrave in our early days). There’s no need to rush. I’d like to be in a position to take a show to Edinburgh next year that’s polished and ready – and then invite the industry types. To paraphrase The Simpsons, “That's a problem for Future-David”.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.