Skip to main content

What a Picture.


We took a Polaroid during every performance of our 2008 Edinburgh Fringe show 'The Balloon Debate'. See below for the lot.

"It's been a hard day's night..."

The play was set in the basket of a hot air balloon. Two thousand feet above East Anglia to be precise. The show was a three-hander, with me as Dan, a tetchy friend to the idiotic Gary (played by Glyn), with the funniest actor I've ever worked with, Calogero Tumminello, as the pilot. Gary's plan to propose on a balloon trip backfire when his girlfriend pulls out last-minute and Dan is roped in as a reluctant replacement. Things then go from bad to worse, when the pilot falls out of the basket mid-flight.

The Polaroid scene was the hardest-not-to-corpse moment of my life. Cal would offer to take a souvenir photograph, to which we’d reluctantly agree. He’d whip out his camera and spend ages ushering us into position before releasing the shutter. He’d hold the photo in front of us while we huddled together. We’d then spend five minutes in silence, waiting for the picture to develop, only to find it never did.

Except, of course, it would. We’d stare at it, pretending nothing was happening, when in reality, another new and amusing scene would form before our eyes. Despite doing this every night for a month, it never got easier. I remember this one being a particular challenge:


It was an expensive gag, as Polaroid film wasn’t cheap. Still, it was worth it. What’s a hundred quid spent on film, when you’re losing thousands of pounds everywhere else? I try to laugh through the tears.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...