Skip to main content

Dad Jokes.


I find myself in a bit of a stand-up material-based quandary.

I’ve written a short routine about my dad that I’m quite pleased with. I tried it out at last Wednesday’s London Mostly Comedy and it was the most well received part of my set. Now, thanks to an act dropping out of tomorrow’s Hitchin show last minute, I may do a little solo stand-up to fill time. I’d like to do the skit about my dad, but he’ll be there, and I don’t want him to be offended by it.

I shouldn't think he will be. There’s nothing malicious in it. I’d just sooner not do something that references him directly the first time he watches me perform on my own. He’s very supportive of what I do and I wouldn't want to upset him.

I could put something else in its place, but that would be risky. I plan to try out five minutes of new solo material at our London show each month and then do it again in Hitchin, to solidify it before I move on to the next bit. There are a few other stories I could tell, but I’d like to wait until they’re tighter. Having to juggle the running of the gig, making sure the acts have arrived and are happy, recording the podcast and appearing on stage is stressful. It’s best to not have to waste much brainpower over trying to remember what you have to say.

Glyn has seen the set and says I’ve got nothing to worry about. My wife also signed the idea off. I even ran the routine past my mum over the phone today, who laughed and said it was fine. The only person left in my inner circle now is my dad himself. I'll find out what he thinks tomorrow. If it doesn’t go well, I may be on the look out for a new father figure.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...