Dad Jokes.


I find myself in a bit of a stand-up material-based quandary.

I’ve written a short routine about my dad that I’m quite pleased with. I tried it out at last Wednesday’s London Mostly Comedy and it was the most well received part of my set. Now, thanks to an act dropping out of tomorrow’s Hitchin show last minute, I may do a little solo stand-up to fill time. I’d like to do the skit about my dad, but he’ll be there, and I don’t want him to be offended by it.

I shouldn't think he will be. There’s nothing malicious in it. I’d just sooner not do something that references him directly the first time he watches me perform on my own. He’s very supportive of what I do and I wouldn't want to upset him.

I could put something else in its place, but that would be risky. I plan to try out five minutes of new solo material at our London show each month and then do it again in Hitchin, to solidify it before I move on to the next bit. There are a few other stories I could tell, but I’d like to wait until they’re tighter. Having to juggle the running of the gig, making sure the acts have arrived and are happy, recording the podcast and appearing on stage is stressful. It’s best to not have to waste much brainpower over trying to remember what you have to say.

Glyn has seen the set and says I’ve got nothing to worry about. My wife also signed the idea off. I even ran the routine past my mum over the phone today, who laughed and said it was fine. The only person left in my inner circle now is my dad himself. I'll find out what he thinks tomorrow. If it doesn’t go well, I may be on the look out for a new father figure.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.