Skip to main content

Feeling Glad All Over.


Of the many – some might say too many – projects me and Glyn have set up, the one I’m proudest of is 'Glad All Over!: A Sixties Celebration’.

(c) Tim Parker


The show came into being in a pub; the Spice of Life in Soho, in fact. We met with our friend Rob Maskell to discuss the idea of putting together a show to raise money for one of our Edinburgh Festival runs. Me and Rob had gigged together a lot in the past, and often expressed an interest in setting up our own actor / muso show, in an attempt to put right a lot of the self-perceived wrongs of the various shows we’d worked on previously. 

Suddenly we had an excuse to do it. We booked a date at The Queen Mother Theatre in Hitchin that Summer and put together a band. The premise was simple; the show would be a two-hour gig built around a four-piece band who were all singers and multi-instrumentalists, plus three additional female singers. We wanted to cover as broad a selection of Sixties music as possible, rather than shy away from the ambitious or left-field. Most of all, we wanted the band to be authentic, energized and of a similar age to original artists.

GAO Artwork. Ooh. Authentic.


Once we’d settled on a set with a natural build that would sit well with the cast’s musical ability, we started to work out our arrangements. It was fun piecing it together. I’ve always loved working Rob. We know how to get the best out of each other musically, and laugh a lot while doing it.

Amazingly, our cast all agreed to do the first show for expenses, as they knew we trying to raise money for mine and Glyn’s Edinburgh show, while also attempting to put together a side-project that would bring more work and money for everyone in the future.

We only had a week to rehearse a show that was quite musically ambitious. Everyone stepped up to the plate. It was a joyous and creatively satisfying week. We had a shit-hot band who had great attention to detail and wanted to get everything just right.

Me, Glad All Overing. (c) Tim Parker.
That first show felt like a real achievement. We played to a sold out crowd who were soon up on their feet. We carried on booking dates in a number of venues over the next few years (around mine and Glyn’s then-ridiculous workload); finally being able to pay the rest of the cast properly, though sadly we were seldom able to pay ourselves. Such is a producer’s life.

Sold out show at Gorleston Pavilion.
  
The highlight had to be playing a private function in front of Dave Clark of The Dave Clark Five (the band who wrote and recorded the song our show was named after, no less) and Noddy Holder from Slade. It’s not often you get to sing a song in front of its original artist, plus one of the most distinctive rock voices of all time. Thankfully, they loved it and said some really nice things. Me belting out The Small Faces’ Sha La La La Lee while Noddy Holder danced and sang along in front of us was one of the most surreal – and exciting - moments of my life.
The GAO cast, with Dave Clark and Noddy Holder.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...