About a Blog.


What would you write a blog about, when you’ve already written 223 this year and 695 in total?

Okay, I'm not Richard Herring yet - both in terms of my comedy career or blog output - but I’m not doing badly. I’m proud of myself for keeping it up. That said, some days it can be a bind: a brain searching, empty-headed, what-the-hell-am-I-going-to-write-about-today bind.

(Like today, for instance.)

It often fills me with dread. This probably sounds ridiculous. It’s a self-enforced deadline; no-one’s holding a gun to my head (or at least that’s what my blog-loving captor wants you to think). The world won’t end if I don’t write something, and if it does, it’s unlikely to be my fault; my laptop has no nuclear capability.

I'm worried that if I miss one, I’ll miss two...then three, then four and then five. If I put it down, I may never pick it up – and it's proved so useful, for working up ideas and for keeping my mind busy. I wouldn’t have written ‘…and Ephgrave’ without it. I’d also be more stuck for material for Doggett & Ephgrave's radio show and for stand-up in general. When we pick a topic for 'In Your Inner Ear' each week, a quick blog search will often pull up appropriate stories that I’ve completely forgotten about. It’s great for that.

In truth, I’m currently three posts behind; I missed two in June and one earlier this week. That’s not bad going, considering they’re the only days I haven’t written something in just under two years. The discrepancy may be tiny, but it niggles. Knowing me, I’ll make up for it before the year is through: I’m obsessive-compulsive like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.