ATM Etiquette.


I get unreasonably annoyed by people who take their time at cash machines.
 
(I'm also annoyed when Microsoft Word unnecessarily criticizes my sentence structure - but that's another story.)


(Everyone’s a critic.)

People at cash machines often act as if the whole process has taken them by surprise; like they were drawn in by the lure of the flashing slot and thought, “I’ve got something that will fit in there perfectly”.

It’s as if they’re playing a game of chess and are carefully considering every move.

Now, I understand you don’t just use an ATM to draw out money – sometimes you need to check your balance or request a bank statement – but is there really any need to take as much time as opening up an account?


It’s the same when people buy train tickets: I approach the machine knowing what I want; some people seem to save deciding on their destination until they reach the front of the queue.

I also get annoyed when a cash machine asks if I want an advice slip; I didn’t queue up looking for a mentor.

To be honest, my irritation on this subject probably says more about me than it does about the them; much as I try not to be, I’m often running late – and an unscheduled stop only serves to illustrate the fact that I should have left earlier.

I’m also often wound like a tightly-coiled spring; it doesn’t take much for me to burst.

(Nothing like a mixed metaphor to brighten your day.)

Either way, a little ATM etiquette wouldn’t go amiss –  and while we’re at it, could someone pay some money into my account so I can draw it out next time I’m standing there?

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.