Once a songwriter...

If there's one thing that frustrates me most about myself, it's the fact that I used to be a songwriter - but somewhere down the line, I seem to have lost the knack to finish anything.

If you’d asked me to define myself a decade ago that's almost certainly what I would have said. I’d been in a band since junior school, and had always written my own material. It was my main creative outlet – and as time went on, I gradually got better at it.


I went to drama school - but to be honest, that was just a way of biding my time while I waited for my band to take off. I had only ever set out to be a singer / songwriter, and anything else I ended up doing would always have been second best.

I didn’t really find my stride as a writer until around 1999 (when everyone else was just too busy partying Prince-style). My band Big Day Out had been going since secondary school as a four-piece – but all of a sudden, the other major creative force behind the band up and left. For quite some time I had felt his writing inferior. Suddenly I had a new lease of life – and songs started to tumble from me with relative ease.

I started wearing a pair of protective pants to catch them and save embarrassment.


I think the main difference between then and now was that being in a band gave me a definite format to write for. Big Day Out were a regularly gigging three-piece, so songs could be quickly knocked off, rehearsed and then performed in front of an audience in next-to-no time. I also lived with the band’s other main writer, so we’d spend much of our spare time working on songs together.

I was also younger then – and with youth came confidence. No-one could tell me that I couldn’t do it.

Back then I was very driven. I’ve watched back old video footage of Big Day Out more recently and been embarrassed by how I sometimes talked to the rest of the band. I had a definite sense of what I felt was musically right – arrogance really – and didn’t mince my words.

Now I just think I’m shit.


(I exaggerate a little for comic effect).

When you write alone it’s much harder to motivate yourself. I’ve always worked best with a collaborator; even if you end up writing the vast majority of something by yourself, you still have a sounding board; someone who’s opinion you trust, and can see past an incomplete idea to what it will be like when finished.

I also think it's best to not leave an idea lying around for too long; it's the same with comedy: it's much better to work something through to the end when you're still inspired by it than to leave it festering.

My band eventually fizzled out when I left drama school and took a couple of tours that made me less available. It was a shame; towards the end we’d supported a couple of then-big acts and secured a little record company interest. It would have been nice to have seen it through.

A few years back I started working on a solo CD called 'Mostly David Ephgrave'. Initial recording went well – but sadly, a combination of the producer moving away and my constant touring meant that we never got around to finishing it.


I then became distracted by both my comedy and actor / muso work, and started giving my original music less attention.

Gradually though, I’ve started to get my songwriting mojo back. I recently began sifting through the little rough demos I've recorded on my phone over the intervening years - and realised that a few of them might be worth finishing up.


One of these days I'll put together a little band or book some solo gigs again. You just bloody wait.

Actually, it's probably best not to wait.


quick time from david ephgrave on Myspace.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.