Skip to main content

University Challenged.


Watching both University Challenge teams stare into the middle-distance as they struggled to identify an audio clip of Manic Street Preachers last night amused me.

No idea.

The screen-grab above captures the precise moment a gap in their vast knowledge became apparent. Well, nearly apparent. Durham Lloyd eventually got it right, but not before a deathly silent twenty-second void had passed. For a third of a minute, eight higher-educated faces displayed the complete range and scope of negative emotions. Kübler-Ross’ Five Stages of Grief crossed their collective visage: from denial, to anger, to bargaining, to depression and then acceptance. If Lloyd hadn’t had a sudden burst of inspiration, I would have fist-pumped the air.

My unpleasantness is completely down to jealousy. I see myself as a reasonably intelligent individual; until I switch to BBC2 at 8:00pm on a Monday night, that is. At this point, thirty-three years of obsession for trivia goes out the window. I revert to four-year-old me on my first day at school; I can identify my parents on sight and that’s about it.

I don’t even like the Manic Street Preachers. If anything, I resent the fact I recognised them so quickly. That part of my brain should be set aside for something more valuable, like remembering my Apple ID. I just wanted a moment’s victory; a brief instance of one-upmanship over a group of students younger and cleverer than me. At least I could identify Brand New Day by Sting. Durham couldn’t.

Still no idea.
But is this really something to celebrate?

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...