Skip to main content

Mostly New.


I used tonight’s Hitchin gig to try out five minutes of new solo material.


I’m happy with how it went. Each topic needs tightening, but showed promise. There’s a bit about the Wizard of Oz that I’m particularly happy with. The rest could do with a tinker. Couldn’t we all?

I now have to decide whether I want to slip any of it into Monday’s Soho Theatre set. The jury’s out. While the show's billed as work-in-progress, or Work in (Hope of) Progress, I’m anticipating the audience to expect something slick. This is more in my head than in actuality. I’ll run it in over the weekend to see what I think. Either way, I’ve got another chance to try it out on the 28th.

It was good gig for Doggett & Ephgrave (I like almost referring to myself in third person). We played it safe material-wise, but it went well. We’d both anticipated a tough crowd because of low numbers. They were actually lovely, and up-for-it. It was a gentler, more relaxed night than some of the recent sold out gigs.

The podcast suffered a little from technical gremlins. We forgot to clear a memory card on one of the recording devices in our rush to set up. Consequently, mine and Glyn’s mic went down halfway through Norman Lovett’s interview. Glyn switched his iPhone to record as soon as he noticed. We also rushed our interview with Tom Goodliffe a bit.

We enjoyed recording the links. For some reason, we ended up on the subject of Neighbours’ thirtieth anniversary. I told Glyn about my obsession with a specific storyline featuring the character Cheryl Stark. It was good to get this out in the open. All will be revealed when the podcast is uploaded next week. Edge-of-your-seat stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...