Skip to main content

How Did it Go?

I sometimes find it hard to hold an accurate representation in my head of how a gig went.

Tonight was a good case in point. I did a five minute spot at a new material night. I was second on in the second half, following one of the most hate-filled acts I've ever seen. The MC even introduced him as such. It was a character act, well-observed and well-delivered, yet almost impossible to follow, with such a short set. I became a space-filler while people got their breath back. I know my place. 

If I'd realised before, I would have planned a more attacking, energised set. As it was, I'd decided to go with some of my gentler, story-based material. In the few minutes before going on, I mulled over whether to adapt. I decided to stick with it. My intention had been to work some newer stuff in, so work it in I must. 

As I stood at the mic, I became aware of the vacuum I needed to fill. The audience seemed quiet and tired, and I felt like I wasn't getting the story across. I knew the reason for it (the previous act had been shouting in people's faces how he'd gargle their cum, while I was talking about my childhood hatred of the Bleep Test. It couldn't be more ying-yang). 'Fuck it', I thought. I'd been building up to this five minutes all day, for it to be scuppered by my own morale, and my position in the line-up. 

Thankfully, I made a point of recording it. The promoter edits together a video of your set for a fiver, which is invaluable - but because I'm aware of the time frame to get my show together, I thought I'd document it myself as well. I just listened back to it on the train. It got laughs in most of the places I wanted. It got a good reaction, considering the bile it followed. 

If only I paid more attention at the time, and didn't cut myself up. It's bizarre how I seem to be capable of timing laughs, while also not being aware of them. At least I'd done what I'd set out to do, and got a reasonable response for perhaps my gentlest bit of material. I also ate some exceptional Pad Thai at the slipperiest-floored restaurant of all time, by Putney Bridge. That said, I also had to get a taxi from Stevenage to Hitchin, because a train in front of us had broken down. Overall, it was a win / lose / draw situation.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...