Skip to main content

Nimoy's Final Frontier.


I’m going to watch Leonard Nimoy’s episode of Columbo today to mark his passing.

It’s a fitting tribute as it’s a good one. It’s far better than William Shatner’s two appearances, which are only enjoyable for the wrong reasons. In the first of the two, ‘Fade in to Murder’, he plays a TV actor who knocks off his blackmailing producer. He does it in the most ineffectual disguise of all time.

If I were in the midst of the Gobi Desert and he accosted me in that outfit, I’d know it was Shatner in an instant. Even without prior knowledge or expectation of him being in the vicinity. No-one else leaves that many pauses in their dialogue, save Harold Pinter.

I’ve been aware of Nimoy since early childhood, when I used to sit in the conservatory of my parents’ house (I wasn’t on the mortgage) watching episodes of the original series of Star Trek. I was a huge fan of the show; so much so that I borrowed my friend Stephen’s dad’s copy of the ‘Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual’ and never gave it back. Steve must have forgiven me, as he was my Best Man last year, though I’ve no idea what his father thinks.

I owned 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock' on VHS. The main reason the Enterprise’s crew struggled to find their pointy-eared colleague was because he was on the other side of the camera: Nimoy directed it. He also directed Three Men and a Baby. His main note for Danson, Guttenberg and Selleck was 'show no emotion'.

He’s featured in Doggett & Ephgrave’s material on more than one occasion. We handed out Spock masks to every audience member at the second Mostly Comedy, to the tune of Nimoy’s version of If I Had a Hammer. The masks came in two variations: bearded and beardless. What the sketch lacked in humour, it made up for in memorability. 


He is also name-checked in our signature routine, The Star Trek Porn Letter. We performed it on the day his passing was announced, as a salute.

Saying that he lived long and prospered may be twee, but he did. Now forgive me: the time has come to watch him be taunted by my favourite ruffled detective. Maybe this time, he’ll catch him out.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...