Skip to main content

Post-Gig Ramblings.


What more satisfying way is there to end your day than using a pair of tweezers to pull a large, painful splinter from your finger? 

(Don’t let it be said that I don’t know how to live.)

It got stuck in there about an hour ago, when I lifted the lid off the wooden staging we use Mostly Comedy, after the gig, to replace some of the equipment that we store beneath it. It went straight in with no messing about, then proceeded to give me gyp for the rest of the evening.

(People don’t use the word ‘gyp’ enough these days. Perhaps I can bring about gyp resurgence, though I'd better double-check the correct spelling before I do this.)

I quite enjoyed tonight (splinter notwithstanding). I wasn’t looking forward to it beforehand, mainly because myself and Glyn haven’t been able to work together much over the last few weeks; you can easily fall out of the natural rhythm you have as a double act when you haven’t spent much time in each other’s company. We also had a block-booking of twenty-two people who were out on their Christmas work do; work dos and comedy nights - like stag dos or hen dos -  often make for uncomfortable bedfellows.

I needn’t have worried. We had plenty of time before the gig to get act together (literally) – and the block-booking were absolutely no trouble. Our material was well-received, as was the rest of the night.
 
(I just had to quickly step away from writing for a moment to clean up some fresh cat-sick from my carpet; my life is non-stop showbiz.)

We did intend on interviewing the two other acts (comic magician Sam Fletcher and character comedian Brian Gittins) for our podcast, but in the end we decided against it, opting to stay in the room and watch the show instead. I’m glad we did this, as I love Sam’s stuff – plus I wanted to catch Gittins (A.K.A. David Earl), as I wasn’t there for his first Mostly Comedy appearance, back in April.

I laughed so much that my head actually ached.

All was also not lost with the podcast, as we still have a couple of unused interviews recorded with other acts over the past few months – so we recorded a little new material to link a couple of them together, after we’d packed up all our gear (which led to Splintergate.)

So, all in all, it was a productive night - incorporating comedy clubs, podcasts, splinters and the odd bit of cat-sick along the way. In my life, there’s never a dull moment.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...