What's Good.

It's fair to say we're living through a difficult time, and while it's hard to know what's ahead, it worth taking the opportunity to take stock of where we're lucky.

I know I couldn't manage without my wife, and how fortunate I am to have her. We've been together for fifteen years and married for a little under six, and she's my most ardent supporter. Being with me isn't straightforward and comes with its challenges, but she stands up to them and makes things better. If I hadn't had her to help me through the mental health mess I was in when we met, I wouldn't still be here today. I know I wouldn't. And that comes with a lot of pressure, but she's still with me (the fool) and, despite it all, we still have a lot of fun.

And while it may be soppy, I'm grateful for our dog. He brings a spark to my day and fills it with energy and positivity. He came from Wood Green Animal Shelter a little over a year ago and is a perfect fit for us. He even helped my dad when he was very ill; he was one of the few things that noticeably cheered him up in those last few weeks and, despite mislabelling him as "a Suzuki", he clearly made an impact. And when he ecstatically leapt on my dad's bed when we visited the house after he'd died, the thought of how much my dad would have laughed was a gift.

And finally, I'm lucky to have a small team of close friends who've propped me up when things were difficult. There's been a lot to debrief recently - and always really - but they're up to the task. These people are my family, and we all look out for each other. So I'm luckier than most. 


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.