It's a Broadway World After All.

It's been a while, but here's a short interview I did last week about my show for Broadway World:

Tell us a bit about Niche.

'Niche' is about embracing my fascination for the small details in life, and realising it's better to be true to who I am than to homogenise myself to be what others expect me to be. 

The older I get, the more I accept aspects of my personality and interests I might have kept to myself in the past: yes, I'm a big fan of the band Wings. Yes, I've seen every episode of Diagnosis Murder and enjoyed them all, bar the one that claims vampires are real and the one in which Dick van Dyke plays every member of a whole family. Previously, I would have played these things down, because I was worried people would judge me, but I've since learnt that's ridiculous: I'm allowed to like what I like and sod what anyone thinks. So in this show I'm celebrating the fact others may see me as a niche prospect; so what if I don't go down well in front of a stag do? Who wants to amuse a gaggle of polo-shirt-wearing sunburnt Phil Mitchell lookalikes anyway?

Where else might we know you from?

You may remember me from the 2004 advert for the AA or seen me play the integral role of Richard in the West End musical Dreamboats and Petticoats. That, or I might have asked to borrow a fiver from you on the street.

As this is your fifth brand new show at the festival do you think you know what to expect from the fringe?

I should say so. The more you do it, the more you accept it for what it is and make peace with the fact you'll probably come out the other side poorer and more irritable. But however much of a glutton for punishment I am for returning each year like a moth to a flame, I still want to keep doing it; can you develop Stockholm Syndrome for a fringe festival?

Who would you recommend comes to see Niche?

People with a high resistance to the spores in the air at my underground venue that threaten to reinstate a medieval lung disease that's long been dormant. That, and anyone perplexed by the success of James Corden.

Are there any other shows you're hoping to catch in Edinburgh?

Phil Kay's always at the top of my list, though I'm also looking forward to seeing Bec Hill, Jenny Collier and Brodi Snook. 

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.