Prolific McCartney.


The dropping of two new songs from Paul McCartney this week, combined with a warm and spirited appearance on the James Corden segment Carpool Karaoke, definitely bode well for the release of his next album ‘Egypt Station’ in September.

The guy belting out ‘Come On to Me’ isn't a 76-year-old; in fact I think it's all a con. I’d happily fund research into whether 18th June 1942 really is McCartney’s birth-date. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but the energy of the man - and his want to keep making music - is as extraordinary as it is envious. I don’t know how he does it but I’m grateful he does; if I can approach life and work with the same zest if I reach his age, I’ll be winning.

I've never subscribed to the theory that an artist's early career is the only part worth listening to. Of course, the insane level of creativity McCartney exhibited from 1962 to 1970 (or even from 1970 to 1980) is practically without parallel, but that’s not to say there hasn't been plenty of gold in recent years; stick with an artist for the long-run and you hear how they mature with age. Half of the negative criticism Macca's party to only comes from comparing the man to his own exceptional back catalogue.

Of course his voice has changed, but so does everyone’s. However it fits his contemporary work far better than it does his Beatle years. When he was young, his range was extremely broad, and it doesn’t have the same fluidity it once had, but it's still got depth. I’d much rather he put it to use singing new material than be reminded of the time that's passed when I hear him sing stuff from his twenties.

Ultimately, I’m grateful he’s still going strong. Each time he releases a new album I entertain the niggling worry it may be his last. But until that day comes, I’ll keep enjoying the ride; whatever the naysayers think, the man’s a fucking legend.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.