Skip to main content

Keep Under Cover.


You don’t expect your self-esteem to get a knock when renewing your contents insurance. This happened to me this morning; about five minutes into running through the various questions relating to my policy over the phone, when the subject of the nature of my employment came up.

“What do you do for a living?” asked Mark (the man with the power to protect my belongings.)
“I’m an actor”, I replied.

The line went dead for a moment.

"What sort of actor?”, he probed.
“How do you mean?”.
“Do you do film, TV or theatre?”.
“Well, all of the above”, I replied, “but mostly theatre.”

(For some reason, my previous policy had me listed as just a teacher; presumably, to avoid this kind of interrogation.)

“This is a slightly awkward question to ask”, Mark continued, shakily, “but it will affect the nature of your policy. Are you famous?”.

I mulled over my twelve years in the business. The high points, the low points; the near-constant middle ground.

“No,” I admitted. “No, I’m not famous; infamous, perhaps.”

Mark ignored my joke.

“Do any famous people ever visit your house?”, he continued. I was starting to go off Mark.

I briefly pondered whether the time when the actress who plays Emmerdale’s Charity Dingle popped over would count.

“No, not really.”

The line went silent whilst Mark totted up the figures, working out what type of cover I’d be eligible for; completely unaware of how he’d summed up my career in just a few seconds and found it to be lacking in the process.

I wonder if I could claim for compensation for loss of earnings due to ego damage? I’ll let you know how things pan out.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...