None of My Business.


Today I walked past a shop called 'Brow Bar and Beauty Boutique' – and wondered whether they settled on the name for its alliterative qualities, or if this was just a coincidence.

Are the Brow Bar and the Beauty Boutique two separate businesses that trade on the same premises? Did they go halves on signage just to save funds?  If not, then surely the Brow Bar falls under the remit of the Beauty Boutique, and they didn’t need to single it out.

It's like if I ran a bakery called The Chelsea Bun and Bun Shop; the second ‘Bun’ would negate the necessity of the first. Unless (1) my business was based in Chelsea, (2) not all the produce was made there, (3) my name was Chelsea, or (4) I only stocked two buns: one bearing the distinctive cinnamon and curranty characteristics of a Chelsea Bun – and another that defied definition.

(Possibly not the clearest example; I should have gone with Newsagent and Daily Mail Stockist.)

I presume the owners of 'Brow Bar and Beauty Boutique' didn't give it too much thought. They probably just like the burst of four plosives in their mouth.

Simple pleasures.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.