Commercial Casting: Before & After.


Some days you’re just not in the mood for a commercial casting, and today is one of those days.

BEFORE:

As I write I’m sat in a coffee shop just a few yards around the corner from the casting suite where I’m due to be seen in half an hour. Part of the reason for my reticence is the fact that I haven’t had a casting for a fortnight or so; it’s very easy to get out of practice. Also, the random nature of commercial castings – never quite knowing what’s going to be thrown at you – means you often have to psyche yourself up for it.

Ultimately, I’m pleased to be being seen for something; it ups the chance of work and money. It’s hard to keep positive, though, when the last few months have been so full of ‘pencils’ and near-misses.

In a moment I’ll finish up my Mint Humbug tea (sophisticated), close up my laptop (high-tech) and wander over to the casting suite (legs), to fill in the usual massive pile of forms (admin) and cast my eye over whatever script they thrust in my direction (reading). 

I’ll be sure to let you know how I get on.

AFTER:

It’s an hour later - and I’m sat on the train home as it pulls out of King’s Cross.

Despite my doom-laden tone prior to the casting, I actually quite enjoyed myself. There was a little dialogue to deliver – which you have to learn quickly before you go in – but it was nothing too taxing.

It helped that the advert is part of a series that has already aired, so I had a bit of a heads-up as to what they might be looking for. The style is right up my street (naturalistic, ‘thrown away’ comedy), so it wasn’t too much of a stretch. It would actually be an enjoyable little gig to get.

The casting studio was full of mothers and babies waiting to be seen for something else, so it was a little frenetic. I arrived, gave my name, filled in the various forms, posed for a picture and then was given the script to have a look at.

The advert revolved around a newly-married couple, so we were seen in twos. The girl had the lion’s share of the dialogue, so I had the easier ride between us. Part of the script called for very specific timing between the two of us, so it took a couple of takes to get it right – then, before I knew it, I’d said goodbye to my ‘temporary wife’ (no affection), picked up my jacket and umbrella, and was back out on the street, heading for the Underground.

The trick now is to forget about it. Getting the job would ease my finances and be a good addition to my CV, but there’s no point in giving it too much thought. If I hear anything over the next few days, then great. If not, it’s just another one to chalk down to experience.

At least I learnt a couple of things today: (1) there’s such a thing as a Mint Humbug Tea, and (2) I enjoy drinking it.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.