Anna-ther One.

Yesterday's podcast interview with Anna Morris was another nice one, with some lovely stories about fortuitous moments, where the universe just seemed to step in on her behalf.

Stills from last night's ZOOMostly Comedy with Anna Morris.

While I'm a realist, perhaps counterintuitively, I'm also a firm believer in following the moment without overthinking it too. When it comes to creativity, that's often the best route to take. The best ideas usually come quickly and almost of their own accord when you're not stretching for them, though that's not to say you don't still have to put in a lot of work to shape them afterwards. But there's a lot to be said for being open and ready for the moment when your subconscious dredges up something good.

The best example of this for me was when I was still an active songwriter. Back then, only the moments that surprised me that felt worth pursuing. While I could churn out a basic song with a beginning, middle and end without much effort, it was those little accidents that weren't my standard fayre that brought out something more exciting. An unusual chord or out-of-character melodic jump could completely turn a song around.

That's a mindset I could do with applying to comedy again. I know a combination of the COVID situation and some recent personal difficulties have slowed my creativity down. It's all about getting the fun back through a freer outlook. But how do I not overthink not overthinking?

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.