Toilet Escapologist.


Today, I was briefly trapped inside a disabled toilet.

It didn’t feel brief at the time. I wrestled with the door for ages. I nearly pulled the emergency cord for assistance. This would have been embarrassing on two counts: (1) because I’d have to admit that I was stuck, and (2) because I’d then feel the need to justify why I was using it in the first place.   

I have a chequered past when it comes to disabled toilets, so I was grateful that I managed to get out before anyone knew of my predicament.

I once got stuck inside a toilet cubicle at a wedding. I shut the door to discover that there wasn’t a handle on the inside, nor any mechanism to speak of. Once closed, it was impossible to get purchase. It was the bathroom equivalent to the front door at 10 Downing Street.

I called Glyn, who came to release me discreetly. We didn’t tell anyone what had happened, but we laughed a lot. I felt like a toilet escapologist.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.