Skip to main content

Sit Down Stand-up.


One thing I’m not doing much of at the moment is writing new solo stand-up material.

This annoys me, as it’s the one thing I’d particularly like to be doing, yet I seem to have lost my mojo. I hope this is temporary; if not, I'll have to eke out what I’ve written thus far for the rest of my career.

Part of the reason for this was the mad panic dash of putting together my first solo show for the Brighton and Camden Fringe Festivals this year. This happened largely by accident. A slot came up as part of The Comedy Project’s season at the Soho Theatre in March, at a time when Doggett & Ephgrave didn’t have anything new to present. We discussed it between us, and Glyn kindly gave me the green light to use it as a chance to do some of the solo material I’d been writing and tentatively trying out since October last year.

Then, me being me, I perhaps decided to run before I could jump. After committing to do thirty minutes of new material for TCP, I thought I may as well keep the ball in the air for the few months that followed. My next intended port of call was the Camden Fringe Festival in August, which I felt would give me time to work up an hour of work-in-progress material. Then a couple of dates came up as part of the Brighton Fringe in May, which I thought was a good way to bridge the gap, so I said yes to them. This led to me doing a show in Brighton that was still in its early stages, but foolishly not marking it as such. It was well-received by the punters, but reviewed scathingly by Chortle. This knocked my confidence (that thing you’re not supposed to admit in public) and briefly slowed me down. I picked things up again for Camden, enjoyed the shows, but as there were only two, I didn’t have time to consolidate on them – and I’m now in the aftermath, deciding what to do next.

I think I can afford to give myself a few weeks’ break. I’m proud of the inroads I’ve made in eight months. The style of stand-up I’m doing on my own differs a lot to the stuff with Glyn, as it’s more personal and storytelling-based and relies less on projection. I’m still finding my feet with it. At least when I start working on my next solo project, I’ll have over two years’ worth of blog to fall back on. If all else fails, I'll read it out loud from beginning to end. Imagine the reviews for that.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...