Mostly Editing.


I’ve spent the afternoon editing the next episode of Doggett & Ephgrave’s More Than Mostly Comedy Podcast, featuring John Thomson and Nathaniel Metcalfe.


I think it’s a good one. They both make interesting and easygoing interviewees. We know Nat reasonably well, having gigged together a few times in the past, but hadn’t met John until the day of the show. We had plenty of reasons to be anxious. Firstly, we didn’t know if we’d get time to record it. We’d hoped to do it pre-gig, but John was waylaid on his way into Hitchin, so didn’t arrive at the venue until moments before curtain up. Thankfully, he was staying in town overnight, so didn’t mind hanging around after the gig had finished – but we didn’t start recording until past midnight, so were very conscious of not wanting to keep him for too long.

We were also a little nervous at the prospect. We’ve interviewed a few prominent comics since starting the podcast, so we've grown used to the situation on the surface, but it’s always going to be tense when you’re sat across a table from someone you’ve admired since childhood, and have to pretend that you’re on a level. At a number of points during the conversation, I thought ‘Shit, I’m talking to John Thomson’, but I managed to suppress it. I didn’t kiss him too, which was a bonus.

It helped that he was lovely. The chat flowed easily and was fascinating (on his part, not ours). He also briefly made reference to my material, and complemented it, which I’ll chalk down as a small personal achievement.

I’ve realised lately that I’m lucky. While Mostly will never make a fortune, and shouldn’t be the be-all and end-all of our careers, it brings about exciting opportunities. If you’d told me when I watched The Fast Show Live at Hammersmith Apollo aged fourteen that I’d one day run a gig with my favourite cast member on the bill, I’d never have believed you. Mainly because you’d have no way of knowing it.

Keep an eye - and ear - out for Episode Fifteen of the More Than Mostly Comedy Podcast, featuring John Thomson and Nathaniel Metcalfe, which will be available for free on iTunes in the next few days. As Thomson’s Jazz Club-presenting alter ego Louis Balfour would say: “Nice”.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.