Primordial Soup.


As I walked through Stevenage Town Centre this morning, clutching a freezer bag filled with leek & potato soup, I prayed that no-one would spot it and start asking questions.

Carrying liquid in a bag was a bad idea in the first place. It felt like a cry for help. It was hard staving off the temptation to reach into it, scoop out a handful and stuff it in my mouth.

I don’t make a habit of transporting broth in bags. This was a first. It wasn’t even mine; it was my dad's lunch. Despite having a valid excuse, I didn’t relish the thought of relaying my explanation.

What if I saw someone I went to school with? Carrying a bagful of soup wouldn't create the best impression of where my life is at. They'd think I’d squandered my GCSEs.

At least I didn’t pester anyone in the Westgate Shopping Centre for a spoon. I left town with my dignity intact. 

Besides, I wanted to have something to do tomorrow.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.