Skip to main content

All the World's One.

From September 2010, every month for two years, Glyn and I would carry four 4.5' square rostra 176 yards from Glyn's dad's chip shop to Mostly Comedy's then-venue The Croft before/after each gig, in all weathers, for a step in the venue floor to render them invisible when we put them in place. It was an utter ballache. Nine years on, these chunky wooden bastards still bug me.

The Croft's stage was hardly the Palladium.

And when I say "all-weathers", I genuinely mean all-weathers. The worst was snow, although it's not like a sunny day made it any more enjoyable. Not only were the rostra heavy, but they were also very cumbersome. They were wide and a nightmare to keep purchase; it was like holding a butter-coated tombstone with clammy hands. Navigating from A to B was akin to a scene from the Eric Sykes / Tommy Cooper film The Plank with equal slapstick; my knuckles practically dragged along the floor at the end of Orangutan-like arms by the end of our journey.


To add insult to stretchy-limbed injury, they weren't even how we wanted them to be. When I mentioned to my dad that we needed to buy a stage to give our acts status whilst performing at the far end of what wasn't an ideally shaped room for a gig, he said his mate Dave could build us one if we wanted. We were delighted and very grateful but asked him to wait until we'd explained our requirements to Dave as it needed to be the right size to do the job and fold away small enough to fit into the back of Glyn's Renault Cleo.

A few days later, my dad called me excitably with the news, "Dave's built it."
I was now in classic awkward Ephgrave territory, expressing outward gratitude and inward, "Why didn't they wait?"
I hadn't even given them the measurements of the space the stage needed to fit. What if it was too big?

An old setlist still in pride of place.

Thankfully, it wasn't, though there was no way you could fit one of the four blocks into a car, let alone all four. And what took the biscuit was once you put it in the venue, it was the same height as the step-up in front of it. So what we had was less a stage and more a floor extension. And once the deathly heavy cunt was in place, you had no idea it was even there.

Love it.

Four well-known faces treading our boards.

At the time of writing, Mostly Comedy's three venues on, in a space with a stage (albeit an inordinately high one that's almost a precipice). And while every venue's had its plus and minus points, I don't miss The Croft's Invisible Plinth. How could I, when I'm still storing it?

Glyn never faced the right way.


Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...