Not In(another)continent.

The last few days have been a strange mix of being pencilled for a job shooting* in South Africa at the end of January, trying to speed through a passport application in time to get a visa to do it and feeling rough enough to have a COVID-19 test too.

Thankfully, I received the good news that I haven't got the virus this morning, which was a relief. The trip to Africa's southernmost point, however, fell through on Friday. And while the job would have been a great way to start the new year (particularly when work's so scarce), I must admit I'm a bit relieved; now's not exactly the time to explore far-off lands, even if I'd hoped to kickstart a collaboration with Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

The passport situation was stressful. My old one expired on the 31st December and I'd only just applied for a replacement a few days earlier when the request for a self-tape for the job came through. As soon as my agent told me about the pencil, I was on the case trying to fast-track the passport with the casting directors understandably anxious about it. The worry probably contributed to my general sense of feeling under-the-weather, which in turn made me concerned I wouldn't be fit time to fly to the Land of the Recent COVID Mutation (a case of "frying pan" and "fire" right there).

Now the job's gone, I can't help but be frustrated. I know I should focus on the positive, but I've had so many pencils now, you could call me Mr Graphite. And I'm sick of the emotional rollercoaster that goes with it. Still, that's the joy of being an actor; that and no concept of future retirement.

*As in "filming", not "poaching".

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.