Older.

This turning 41 lark is a bit of a funny one.

While last year's birthday was one to be aware of, this year has made me a smidge more melancholy. Only a bit, though. I'm well aware of how these little emotional peaks and troughs fluctuate, and consequently, I try not to read too much into them. Reflection can be a poisoned chalice, and I've had a lot of reasons to look back lately, which were bound to affect me, so I'm trying not to overthink it.

I try not to get too drawn into what doesn't matter now. The online world is a case in point. It only takes a quick browse of Instagram or Facebook to be confronted by at least three things that'll make you feel shit, particularly if you're not in the habit of carefully cultivating your social media presence. You start being bothered by stuff you'd never consider in real life. "Why wasn't I invited to this terrible event I'd despise if I'd attended?"
Why does everyone look so happy in this carefully staged photograph? They clearly have a better life than me".

We all know people varnish their online profiles to the nth degree, but if you're feeling a little delicate, it's hard to hold onto that point with any clarity. And I'm not looking to be perfect as it's all a work in progress. If I can be true to myself and my loved ones, that's enough for me.
Metaphor?

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.