He Bangs the Drums.

It's common sense really, but today I felt the value of starting the day positively.

I took the dog out first thing - well, what classes as first thing for me - which I do most weekdays and, despite the rain, we both enjoyed it. The only downside to dog-walking is I often find myself thinking about difficult conversations from the past that still niggle. It's the mental equivalent to coming up with the perfect witty retort days later when the moment's passed. I try to catch my rumination when I notice it and actively change the subject as I know it's unhelpful. I'm getting better at this, though it's an inexact science.

While it's good to take the dog out, deciding to play the drums as soon as I got home was the real win. Changes in my routine since lockdown has seen me slow down a bit and put on weight I'd like to shift, but it's always difficult to find the right exercise to suit my back problems and - let's be honest - lethargy. Old Me spent most of the day on his feet walking all over the place, but that's dipped a bit, so I'm trying to address it. And that's part of the reason I bought my kit, along with improving my playing for both personal satisfaction and work.

I know my drumming's affected by my mood, however weird that sounds. If I'm stuck in shut-off self-critical mode, I overthink what I'm doing and give too much significance to my mistakes. It's about finding my groove and relaxing into it. When it works, it's the most enjoyable instrument I play and I want to get better at it.

A morning dog walk followed by drumming could be the way forward and a good way to reactivate me. It's a great cardiovascular workout that's good for my mental health. And the fact I had a meditation class today helped too. It's all about putting myself in the best mental space. And as long as I don't read the news afterwards I'll be okay. Utter a Tory cabinet member's name and I'll come crashing down with a thump.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.