Previewing the Situation.


Today I visited The Actors’ Temple: the venue where I’ll be previewing new material alongside Mr PBR (A.K.A. Peter Broughton-Rates) from the 28th February onwards.

It’s a lovely little space and perfect for our needs. It only seats twenty, or thirty-five at a push. That’s good. There’ll be less pressure to fill it. Working on the assumption that we split our audience allocation down the middle, I only need to find ten willing friends a month. I’ll have to be fickle: befriending ten people every three weeks or so, then dropping them for a different ten to encourage a good turnover. As long as I don’t base my expectations on the amount of people following me on Google+ (twelve) I should be all right. Worse case scenario, I’ll turn to Grindr.

There’s a projector and screen rigged, so I can go down that route should I choose to. At the moment, I intend to use A.V. minimally to punctuate a few jokes, though if I’m struggling for ideas as the months go by, I may change strategy. It would be nice not to though, so I can differentiate from my work with Glyn. 

(Ha. "Work".)

The only downside is I’ll probably need to bring an amp with me, so we can use a mic. I wouldn’t relish doing stand-up without one. It also prevents me getting touchy-feely with the audience; two-handed, anyway.

Seeing the space has made me excited about doing it. I only have one preview before I do half an hour of stand-up at The Soho Theatre in March for The Comedy Project. I’d better get working. If all else fails, I’ll do ten minutes very slowly.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.