Pitchin' to Hitchin.

Last night, I had what was supposed to be the penultimate preview of my new show before I jet (or 'train') off to Edinburgh, but - for a variety of reasons out of my control - ended up being the first.
Me, during last night's show at Hitchin Town Hall (21.07.22)
I'm pleased to report it went well, though there's still a lot of work to be done. While I'd intended on doing an hour, the distinct lack of opportunity to spread the stories I wanted to try across several dates made me decide to split the show into two halves so I could throw a few more into the mix without rushing them. It also gave me more time to regroup in the interval, which is useful when you're road-testing new material. Plus, it gave the audience a welcome break*, which was helpful, not least when the room was as hot as it was.
Going through my notes, pre-show.
All in all, the results were encouraging. I've found it hard working in such isolation this year, particularly on the back of all the legwork I'd been doing since 2020 to keep Mostly Comedy afloat before it, so it was great to engage with an audience again to instant feedback. I just wish some of my other work-in-progress dates had happened too, but that's the way it goes. Now, it's just a case of whether my last two previews on Sunday (in Cambridge with Arthur Smith) and next Wednesday at the Etcetera Theatre go ahead too. The latter certainly looks unlikely as there's a proposed rail strike in the diary. I don't know what it is with me and previews, but with each passing year, my window to pull a show together gets tighter. Still, it keeps me on my toes (or, when I'm nervous, on the toilet).
Shorts of fury (21.07.22)
*Not the service station.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.