Skip to main content

Mostly Phill.


Tonight’s performance of Phill Jupitus’ tour show at Hitchin Mostly Comedy was a very easy night to contend with, thanks largely to just how nice and easygoing Phill is.

Waking up on the day of the event felt strange, what with it being the first and only time in ten years that we weren’t performing in some form of other; normally I’d be looking over set notes or finalising our slideshow for the night, but today, I was at a bit of a loose end. It made absolute sense for us not to host in the usual way, what with it being a freestanding two-act show, and in a way it made for a pleasant change, but it’s not something I’d want to make a habit of loosely speaking, as it’s just not what the club is; having us top and tail each half is what gives the night its identity. That said, today it worked nicely, plus it freed us up to do everything necessary to cue the show for Phill.

I’ve said it before, but I can’t understate how lovely he is. The very fact he arrived at the venue alone with his set and gear in the back of his car - and no need for a tour manager - just served to reiterate how low-key and unassuming he is. Prior to the event, we’d been sent a rider which had nothing outlandish in it, but when it came to it, he was just grateful for us picking everything up, but didn’t seem to need it. Far lesser-known comics have been more demanding, and would never have considered offering on popping to ASDA prior to the gig, “Does anybody want anything?”. He was also very generous with his time and more than happy to pose for countless selfies, even having the self-awareness to offer to take the photo on the punters' behalf as “Their hands will be shaking”, an observation he made with the least amount of self-aggrandising; he was just trying to help people out.

Perhaps the most striking example of his attention to detail happened at the end of his set, when he read out the list of everyone who’d worked on the gig, down to the door and bar staff; Glyn had written both our full names separately, but without a moment’s hesitation, Phill thanked us as Doggett & Ephgrave, without having heard anyone describe us as that all night; he just remembered it. Also, one of the first things he mentioned on arriving was the podcast we recorded together four years previously, and one of the last things he said before driving away was how he’d happily record another one soon; again, people we know better have offered far less.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...