Skip to main content

GBBO 2016: Volume Four (21.9.16)


The Great British Bake off has been through the mire of gossip, assumption and controversy over the past few days, what with it changing channel for 2016, that just watching the programme itself today was a little anti-climactic. It was what it was and it is what it is: a lowish budget baking show, with a lot of charm and gentle humour – and a soon-to-be sayonara from the low-key, unintimidating Mel and Sue at the helm.

Today’s show was mostly about savoury baking. See below for this week’s adventures, as according to my Twitter posts.

8:03pm: A little heads-up to the people at Love Productions: WE'RE AVAILABLE.
8:06pm: Perhaps C4 can change the format to a Big Brother / Bake Off hybrid: "GB-BB-BO". (I'm fully aware that BB is now on C5).
8:07pm: Val's husband doesn't exist.
8:15:pm: Only Selasi could make crackling sound sexy.
8:5pm: Aunt Bessie would be furious.
8:20pm: Just think how much better the camera work on these Yorkshire puddings would be for an extra £25million.
8:22pm: Kate nods to Paul in agreement, when inwardly she wants to STAB HIM IN THE GULLET.
8:24pm: Was it just me, or did Candice's Yorkshires look a bit like a lady's 'part'
8:26pm: Will an extra £25million stretch to buying Paul a pair of cufflinks?
8:29pm`; Paul will blow his increased C4 fee on a roomful of Remington MB4045 Beard Trimmers.
8:30pm: `Lace pancakes with only one practise run? Paul Hollywood, you GIT.
8:32pm Don't tell my heart, my achy breaky pancakey bakey heart.
I bet Selasi's good at poker.
8.$$pm *picturing Paul Hollywood in lacey pancake lingerie."
8:44pm: Val would carry on narrating if no-one was listening.
8:49pm: If Selasi looked at me, I'd apologise instantly.
8:50pm: *Selasi and Paul Hollywood, kissing.*
8:52pm: Controversial idea for the Government: put Selasi in charge of EVERYTHING.
8:56pm: Kate's rabbits look more like Christian fish.
8:56pm: It seems my wife's and my swearing at Kate technique paid off.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...