Skip to main content

'University Challenged 2016/17 Volume Four (01.08.16)'


Another week goes by and here we are again, ready for another Twitter’s-eye-view of University Challenge; this week’s episode was a Cambridge Vs. Cambridge showdown; what a bunch of punts.

See below for my childish moment by moment commentary of tonight’s show; I apologise if I cause any offence. 

Queens' Cambridge Vs. Peterhouse Cambridge (01.08.16)

8:03pm: Jeremy Paxman's still rocking the look of a weary old woman.

8:05pm: Swentenham: hair like a young Aled Jones.

8:07pm: Syvret has committed a massive, sickening crime that's yet to be discovered.

8:08pm: I'd appropriately like to hold an enquiry into whether Levinson's real.

8:10pm: Paxman even feels disdain for the question cards in his hand.

8:13pm: Adamson has the shiftiness of a man who killed the fourth of Queens' chosen contestants and taken his place.

8:15pm: Sweetenham's hair is softer than the softest hair you could ever imagine, yet it's even softer.

8:17pm: Levinson is a Rolfaroo made flesh.

8:18pm: Don't smile when you get a question right, Adamson. DON'T SMILE.

8:20pm: Venturini started life in a questionable scientist's laboratory.

8:21pm: Lin likes his primary colours. Of that, there's no doubt

8:23pm: Levinson likes making cheeky little sounds around words.

8:28pm: Syvret brought Venturini to life in the depths of Queens' & regrets committing such a shocking atrocity to science.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...