Skip to main content

On the Edge of Sleep.


Today was a long, yet eventful day.

This morning’s show drew a nice crowd who were very responsive and happy to be there and entertained. I felt a little out-of-practise, thanks to yesterday’s missed day, but this was just a small background noise. It’s surprising how cancelling one show can throw your timing and make everything feel a little strange. I’m sure no-one would have been aware of this except for me. My wife was in today, and she didn’t notice anything.

Today's show, like.

I walked out of the door of Just Out the Box, dripping with sweat, to be accosted by the booker of Just the Tonic’s daytime mixed bill show ‘Afternoon Delight.’
“Would you be able to me a massive favour and emcee the show?”
‘Yes, I suppose I could,” I said, after a moment’s hesitation.

So it was that ten minutes later, I found myself backstage in Just the Big Room, about to host the show. I was conscious of not wanting to repeat too much material I’d done from the show the previous day, but there were inevitable cross-overs. It didn’t matter, as the audience were on side. My favourite moment was convincing everyone that the bricked-up door at the back of the stage was the venue’s only fire exit, using a couple of snippets of mine and Glyn’s material as a kicking-off point.


Offstage and On-Stage at Afternoon Delight (13.08.16)

I finished Afternoon Delight pleased that I’d done it, but also glad of the break and the chance to pick up something to eat. We decided to visit the Circus Café and Bistro just a few doors from my digs address, where we had enough to keep us going for the rest of the day.

After that, we headed for Up Two Extra so I could tech Fraser’s show, which was packed to the rafters. It was the busiest of his gigs yet – standing room only – and the room was unbearably hot. It was a good performance, the heat dulled the audience reaction a little, and made their reaction a little harder to force out. It’s still in very good shape though.

Afterwards, Fraser, my wife and I went downstairs for a drink and a chat (well, as much as you can chat over unnecessarily loud music). Before Gemma and I came back to my digs, for something to eat and to unwind. I really am bloody exhausted. Thank God it’s bed time.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...