Skip to main content

Mainly A Mostly Comedy Press Release.

One of the many things I did today - there really were many; the amount of deadlines for Edinburgh that are suddenly looming have sent my brain into meltdown - was write to a press release this month's extra Mostly Comedy.

The rush to do this made it a little cut-and-shut, but it still does the job. See below for the document in all its copy-and-paste glory; I'd book tickets on the strength of its beauty alone.

Press Release – 04.07.16

mostly comedy
a monthly comedy and music club, at the sun hotel in hitchin

July sees two installments of Doggett & Ephgrave’s popular monthly Hitchin comedy club Mostly Comedy at The Sun Hotel in so many days. While 21st July’s show with Peep Show’s ISY SUTTIE, QI’s AISLING BEA and TOM GOODLIFFE is officially sold out, there’s a chance to snap up return tickets on the night. However, tickets are still available for the 20th July’s gig, featuring Edinburgh Previews from NISH KUMAR and ALISON THEA-SKOT.

NISH has come a long way since first playing Mostly Comedy back in 2010, having appeared on BBC’s Have I Got News For You, Live at The Apollo and Mock The Week and Dave’s Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled in the past few years alone. 

He took his first full hour to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2012 to excellent reviews; Time Out described him as ‘Massively charming and very witty. A delightful talent’ and The Guardian as ‘a highly polished, subtly innovative stand-up’. The same show, ‘Who is Nish Kumar?’ went on to be nominated for Best Show at the Dave’s Leicester Comedy Festival in 2013. Since then, he’s taken a solo show to Edinburgh each year, culminating in 2015’s ‘Long Word…Long Word…Blah Blah…I’m So Clever’ being nominated for Best Show at the festival’s prestigous Comedy Awards. He hosts BBC Radio 4 Extra’s Newsjack and appears regularly on Josh Widdicombe’s show on XFM.

Following last year's 5-star reviewed character comedy show 'Some Like It Thea-Skot', which was packed to rafters at the Edinburgh Fringe and went on to sell out its Soho Theatre run, ALISON THEA-SKOT hits Hitchin for the first time with an even more electric hour of chaotic character comedy.  

Thea-Skot is a critically acclaimed actress, comedian and improviser and has previously been selected as part of The Telegraph's Best of the Fringe, London Is Funny's Top 13 Edinburgh Shows To See, Mervyn Stutter’s Pick of the Fringe and featured on The BBC Culture Show. After last year’s word of mouth Edinburgh hit put her firmly on the comedy map, the buzz around her has continued, with her regularly featurng on Radio 4 comedy sketch shows including Newsjack and So On & So Forth and her online comedy sketches being featured on The Poke, The British Comedy Guide and Chortle. 

Both 20th & 21st July’s gigs are emceed by “polished, natural comedians” (Camden Fringe Voyeur) DOGGETT & EPHGRAVE. They take place at The Sun Hotel. Doors open at 7:30pm, with the first act on at 8:00pm. Tickets for the 20th are available via www.mostlycomedy.co.uk. A waiting list for the 21st will be taken on the door from 7:15pm, with any available tickets sold on a first-come, first-served basis.  

Date: Wednesday 20th & Thursday 21st July
Venue: The Sun Hotel
Sun Street
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
SG5 1AF
Time: Bar open all day. Doors at 7:30pm. First act on at 8:00pm.
Admission: £11.00

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...