Skip to main content

Unsupple Serpent.


Frustratingly, I’ve had to pull out of a gig I was doing in Winchester tomorrow night, due to an evil engineering work / rail replacement bus service situation on the line back to London.

This is annoying on three counts: firstly, I could do with the stage time so I can cement some new material; secondly, I don’t like to be unreliable; thirdly – and most importantly – I was looking forward to exorcising the demons of my last visit to the city, back in 2004, when I slipped a disc in my back whilst doing a one-man Chinese Dragon dance.

My oriental undulations had a point. They weren’t just for recreation. I was rehearsing for a pantomime at the Theatre Royal Winchester at the time, and was loving every minute until my spine threw a spanner in the works; so much so that for a while I fooled myself into thinking I could still do the show, despite the fact I could barely walk, let alone give anything approaching a performance. If only I'd had more experience in one-man Chinese Dragon dancing before that fateful day, but no amount of drama school training prepares you for that eventuality.

It’s a shame to not be going back tomorrow. Gigs are so few and far between at the moment that any taken out of the diary are really felt. Still, at least it might halt my nightly flashbacks. I haven't been able to look an outsized dragon’s head in its big blinky eyes since.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...