Skip to main content

Mostly Arthur Amith.


It was good to be back at last night’s Mostly Comedy, having missed last month’s show.

Me, comedianing, last night (photos by Gemma Poole)
We’re still getting used to the new venue, and the teething problems that come with being in a new space. That said, it’s a comfortable fit, largely down to the hard work and all-round assistance we get from our technician Paul Williams, who came on board the Doggett & Ephgrave Express in the past year.

(Though it’s less an ‘express’ and more of a ‘slow service.)

Glyn, comedianing, last night.
Despite all our forward planning, inevitable sound problems before the show meant we had little time to relax before curtain up. Once these issues were fixed it all ran smoothly, thanks to Paul and the rest of our staff (let’s hope Paul reads this; are you there, Paul? ARE YOU THERE?). The pre-set lighting state makes the ballroom look lovely when people arrive and it has more toilets, a bigger bar and more room for manoeuvre for the audience than our previous homes. Glyn and I are finally getting the chance to do less of the set-up and pack-down, which feels like a reward for all our previous hard work; this all bodes well for the future.


Kemsley, comedianing.

Arthur Smith is a comedian.
It was a good show too. Harriet Kemsley (who hasn’t played Mostly before) was lovely and went down well, as of course did Arthur Smith, who is the most amenable and easygoing stand-up you could meet. We’re spoilt with our line-ups. Glyn and I did more material together than we’ve done in recent months, and I was pleased to get some new solo material out in the open too. Big ticks all round. Here’s to the rest of 2016.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...