Skip to main content

The Coming Apocalypse.


The public's ignorance astounds me. I'm not referring to everyone, though there’s a worryingly sizeable contingent letting the side down for everybody else.

I’ll give you an example. A few years ago, I was walking through town when a girl stopped me to ask for directions. She started by shouting “Oi” from the other side of the road, which didn’t exactly get me on side.

“What’s up?” I replied, tetchily.
“Where’s the station?” Politeness clearly wasn’t her strong point. 
I was just relieved she’d asked me something I knew. I started confidently, unaware that I was about to fall at the first hurdle.
“You head straight down this road until you get to the undertakers."
She looked at me blankly.
“What’s an undertaker?”

I was so surprised by the question that I didn’t know how to respond. I’d never been asked to define a funeral director’s job before, least of all without notice.

Did she know that people die? Had she never considered who deals with the body? If not, she was heading for a rude awakening. I didn’t want to be the one to drop the bombshell. 

Also, how could I give directions to someone with such a narrow field of reference? If she struggled with undertaker, how would she cope with the other landmarks on the way, like the church, the Football Club or off-licence? “Follow the sound of the choo-choo” wouldn’t cut it.

Sometimes, it's best to stay indoors. That way, you don't run into them.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...