Skip to main content

Dutch David

This is my second blog in so many months to be written in the air. 

I'm currently en route to Amsterdam, for my post-wedding stag do. I like to do things backwards. By rights, I'll be engaged in a fortnight, then single a few weeks after that. 

As far as I'm concerned, today is still yesterday, if that's not too confusing a concept. Our flight departed at 6am, which meant I had to be up at 3am. Setting my alarm was depressing, to be cheerfully told by my phone that I had less than three hours sleep ahead. 

(You can tell how little I've had from that cumbersome sentence.) 

That said, I'm looking forward to the trip. I love Amsterdam. It's one of my favourite cities in Europe. I must have been there seven or eight times now, either on holiday or with work. Each time, it's been great. I've always fancied the idea of moving there for a year or so, if finances allowed. I'd like to live on a houseboat - knowing I was far enough away from the UK to avoid the downsides, but could return quickly if I needed to. 

I'm now back on terra firma, on a train to Amsterdam Centraal. I've yet to see a single windmill, pair of clogs or field of tulips. This is all set to change. I'll keep you informed of my progress. Now, I must sleep. 


Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...