Skip to main content

King of the Pencils.


If I had a pencil for every time I have been penciled for a job and not got it, I’d now have an awful lot of pencils. At the very least, I’d have break into a new pencil case.

Admittedly, I just used the word pencil far too many times (there I go again). Perhaps this will help illustrate my point; the pencil-ratio of this blog and the pencil-ratio after castings pretty much match up 1:1.

(For those who don’t know, being penciled for a job means you’re down to the last few – and they'd like you to remain available for the shoot dates, just in case.)

The most recent occasion was particularly frustrating. The company had got as far as asking my availability for a wardrobe fitting and checking that my passport was up-to-date for the shoot, then called again the following day to say I hadn’t got it.

To be fair, I was surprised I’d been in the running for the job; I didn’t think I did very well at the original casting (which I've already covered here). It’s a shame, though; being penciled brought it back into my mind again – and the prospect of the money couldn’t have been better timed in the lead-up to Christmas.

At least things are heading in the right direction. If I never heard back, I’d assume I was doing something wrong. That said, it’s also possible that I’m not doing something right, to ease my transition from pencil to ink.

Perhaps it will end up like that old cliché of waiting for a bus: eventually, a load of jobs will come along at once.

Here’s hoping...

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...