Skip to main content

Café Crawl.

I’m currently killing time in-between two castings, sitting in a café adjoined to a bookshop in Central London.

My first casting was at 11am this morning, and the next one is at 4:50pm; just enough time between the two to consider a different career in the interim. I’m sure I could fit in a short Post Graduate course somewhere, if I had a quick scout about.

The first casting went quite well; it was very in-out (with a distinct lack of ‘shake it all about’). I went in with another actor who was a very nice chap – and afterwards we popped into a greasy spoon around the corner from the casting suite, to kill some time before he went off to another appointment - and I found somewhere to loiter for the intervening hours.

(We both opted for green tea, so I guess it wasn’t that greasy.)

While we were there he told me of how he’d recently secured a part in what has become a recurring series of adverts – and how financially it had turned his life around. This was just the sort of encouragement I needed, after a long spell of being penciled for jobs but not getting the part: the reminder that it can all change in an instant.

I told him about the excitement of securing my first West End job in Dreamboats & Petticoats a couple of years back, as well as the positives and negatives of trying to promote my double act. I told him about the joy of securing Michael Barrymore and Norman Lovett for mine and Glyn’s sitcom reading earlier this year, and the pitfalls of our various jaunts to Edinburgh.

It was a nice conversation; it made a refreshing change to have a longer chat with someone I’d been to a casting with, instead of just exchanging a quick nod at the door before heading off our separate ways.

After that I wandered from Piccadilly Circus through Soho Square and up to the bookshop café opposite the Phoenix Theatre, where I’ve been sat for the past few hours. I had a coffee and a spot of lunch, then settled down with a peppermint tea and my copy of Van Gogh’s letters, which I’ve had for at least a year now, but only started reading last weekend.

(I'm feeling very cosmopolitan.)

Van Gogh is my favourite artist; I don’t know why, but I’ve always felt an affinity with him and his work. I wasn’t sure if I was going to get on with the book at first – but I’ve turned a corner over the past few days and relaxed into his style of writing.

I’ve still got an hour and a half between now and my next appointment. I better find somewhere else to sit and kill the time; I’ve been in this café long enough that I’ve started to accumulate dust.

Here’s hoping the next casting goes all right – and that the journey home isn’t too time-consuming. Got to love those rush-hour trains...

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...