Skip to main content

Commuters? CommuTURDS.



I just had to practically dislocate both arms whilst climbing over another passenger on a packed train, because he refused to move into the empty seat next to him. 

While every bone in my body was bent in inconceivable directions, every bone in his despised me for choosing to sit there.

Not content with forcing a spot of commuter contortionism, he's now desperate to read what I'm writing. He keeps sneaking glances in my direction; trying to find a gap through my fingers that offers an unrestricted view to the screen of my BlackBerry.  

I CAN SEE YOU LOOKING, MY FRIEND. I CAN SEE YOU LOOKING.  

What is it with packed public transport that brings out the worst in society? I’m pretty sure that his bag didn't pay for a ticket. 

The woman sitting opposite just gave me a little conspiratorial smile; she knows this man's game just like I do.

It’s a shame that people resort to such selfishness when in public. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve held open doors to people with no response, or stepped out of the flightpath of someone who's walking in one direction whilst looking in the other.

Thankfully, not everyone's like this: as I walked down to The Underground from King’s Cross Station today, a woman in front of me dropped a woollen hat from her coat pocket – and a number of people stopped her to let her know that she’d done it. She was very grateful, and smiles were passed between everyone involved.

There’s still some hope left for humanity.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...