Skip to main content

Effing and Jeffing.


I managed to get my daily dose of escapism today watching the latest installment in the Jurassic Park franchise, ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’, or as I call it (in tribute to Goldblum returning to the castlist), ‘Jeffrassic Jeff’.

While I thought it was great and, if anything, better than the last film, I must prefigure this by saying there wasn’t enough Jeff. But then, there never is. I don’t think any film in the history of cinema has had enough Jeff in it, even if you rolled all his screen work into one big Goldblum-a-thon; I once walked past him backstage at the Old Vic and even the corridor we were in didn't have enough Jeff in it, and Jeff was actually there.

While Troy McClure's one-time fast-talking agent didn’t feature as much as I (or anyone with a pulse) would have liked, the film still gripped me throughout, and rivaled ‘The Lost World’ for the role of best sequel of the series. While they did a great job reimagining the series with ‘Jurassic World’ they’ve managed to take the excitement even further; gently referencing the previous films here and there without troweling it on.

One thing the film has in droves is evil men, with Toby Jones, Rafe Spall, BD Wong, Ted Levine and more, all vying for the role of biggest villain. Some of the dinosaurs are quite unpleasant too. What surprised me most was how the film wasn’t afraid to be moving too, mainly by making the animals themselves more believable; if they’d just written Jeff into every scene we’d have a masterpiece on our hands. Still some Jeff’s better than no Jeff, as my nan used to say...

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...