Skip to main content

Black Rod(ney)


Today I turned tourist by taking an audio tour of Parliament (and a visual one too as I was there), taking in both the House of Commons and House of Lords, followed by afternoon tea on the terrace by the Thames.

I visited the Palace of Westminster once before when my wife and I climbed Big Ben (from the inside), though we only viewed the two Houses from the gallery back then as government was in session. That trip was fascinating enough (I even announced at the time, “I’ve had enough fascination”) though the emphasis was more on the clock tower, so it was great to be able explore the rest in more detail.

As is often the case with visiting a place you’ve seen on television, everything's far smaller than you’d expect (if I'm not being too presumptuous) with the exception of Westminster Hall. I was struck when I stood at the Opposition’s despatch box* by how unthreatening the Commons felt from the point of view of someone speaking to the room, though it's probably a different kettle of fish** when it’s packed. You can’t help but think of all the key debates that have taken place there and the major political players who’ve graced the room with their presence (excluding Michael Gove, who’s a gimp). While it’s easy to be cynical about politics, I felt proud of the democracy it stood for, until I remembered our current Prime Minister and took it all back.

*...in the face with a fish. 
 ** that one.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...