Skip to main content

Proof it.


Today I okayed the proofs for my Edinburgh Fringe brochure and online listings, thus finalising the title and vague content of my show.

Sneak preview of my 2017 EdFringe listing.
it will be called ‘Now Who’s a Comedian?’, in direct reference to a running joke my wife and I have that she’ll one day take a show to the festival with that name, to achieve more success and accolades than I ever could (despite working in a completely different field to me) thus putting me in my place. I always liked the idea that she’d aggressively shout the title after every punchline, stamping her foot as she does it, to hammer the point home.

There’s a definite sense now I’m starting to formalize and finalise my trip to Edinburgh that things are beginning to move forward. There’s still a lot of writing / compiling to do, but there’s a sense that things are developing along the way; I know where I want to go with my ideas and the tone I want to create. Now all I have to do is gradually piece bits of material together and try them out at  open mic gigs here and there (and at Mostly Comedy) - more than anything to get those ideas out in the open, and not to expect a too hearty response in an environment that’s difficult to break; it’s more about hearing the content out loud myself and truly deciding what I think.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...