Skip to main content

Insta(nt) Karma.


I'm getting quite into running Mostly Comedy's new Instagram account. 

My wife - who's our resident photographer - set it up recently, as an extra way of sharing the photos taken at and around the gig, to create more interest and a bit of a conversation around the show. In a way, it's surprising I don’t have my own Instagram account, as I've always enjoyed taking pictures. It's my last bastion of social media, what with already being on Twitter and Facebook (the second one reluctantly). 

Without wishing to sound biased, my wife is one of Mostly Comedy’s unsung heros, particularly when it comes to her photography. Her pictures are excellent and make for a fantastic record of the event from its early days to now. While she's documented the majority of the gigs we've run, her photos rarely see the light of day outside of our posters and the odd Twitter upload. Glyn and I keep meaning to set up a gallery on our website, but something always gets in the way; until then, they sit on our hard drive, collecting proverbial dust. 

Every few years, I put together a book of her Mostly Comedy photographs as a Christmas present. There are three so far, which chart the gigs chronologically, and flicking through them makes for a ridiculous story. The rate at which the club grew is mad, and the fact we have so many vivid pictures helps bring the shows back to life in a very special way. 

The account is great for creating a running commentary on a show as it happens. The way people express their enjoyment (or otherwise) of a live event has changed so much, even in the eight years since Mostly Comedy began. These days, people post pictures or tweets while the show’s on, and the fact we can do the same, helps give a point-of-focus for all this commentary. We already encourage a Mostly Comedy hashtag - and with Glyn, my wife and I all manning the Twitter and Instagram accounts mid-gig, we up the chance of catching the audience's posts and adding to them ourselves. This is helped by the fact my wife can now upload photos taken on her camera mid-show too, so people get to see a good-quality visual representation of it instantly. 

Our Instagram account is in its early days and is already proving fun. It's nice to share pictures from the archives as well as the more current ones. We may even start posting pictures of our dinners too; everyone else does it. 

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...