Skip to main content

A Sour Note.


Today I received a message from my old band’s ex-manager, to say he’d heard one of our songs playing in the background of yesterday's episode of 'Saturday Kitchen' on BBC1.

Take a moment to savour the above sentence. It’s not something I get to say often, if at all (except for then, when I just said it). I’ve never found myself in a position where my music was used as a bed for Nigel Slater to make a beef and lentil salad, and I doubt I will again; this is a once-in-a-lifetime moment and a great way to start the New Year.

Except it isn’t, as it wasn’t; my music, that is, though I genuinely did a double-take when I tracked down the offending article on iPlayer. Nearly everything was right, from the guitar sound, to the riff, to the fact both songs were played on instruments downtuned a semi-tone, so an open G chord became an F#; if I didn’t know better, I’d say someone went to the effort of recreating the title track of our 1998 Get Happy EP sans vocals instead of asking permission to use it - though why anyone would go to all this trouble when we would clearly have said yes; it’s not like we’ve had any better offers in the nineteen intervening years.

When I get the chance, I’ll compile a compare & contrast clip to accompany this blog and let my reader(s) decide whether I’ve been ripped off or not. In the meantime, whenever there’s a chef on TV, I’ll keep my ears to the ground; Slater, Lawson and Martin won’t be cooking to the tune of an Ephgrave masterpiece on my watch.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Have Parker from Thunderbirds and Noel Gallagher ever been seen in the same room? The resemblance is uncanny. So much so, I think something’s afoot. If my suspicions are correct, I've stumbled across a secret that will blow the music and puppet industry wide apart. In the mid-60s / mid-90s at least. It doesn’t take long to see the signposts. There’s the similarity between the name of Oasis’ first single, Supersonic, and Supermarianation, Gerry Anderson’s puppetry technique. The Gallagher brothers would often wear Parkas . Live Forever was clearly a reference to Captain Scarlet and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants to the size difference between Noel and his bandmates. The more you think about it, the more brazen it gets. It’s fishier than Area 51, Paul is Dead and JFK's assassination put together. The only glitch to the theory is scale . According to Wikipedia, Anderson’s marionettes were 1’10” and Gallagher is 5’8”. How does he maintain an illusion of avera...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...